At St. Augustine's we aim to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
We follow the Kapow scheme of work for Art, as we feel it gives us the greatest opportunity to explore the aims above, from the National Curriculum. It also provides us with the opportunity to explore different media of art and expand the skills and knowledge of the children.
We look at a variety of artists covering a range of art from around the world and art created by all.
Art in Reception:
Below are key skills the children will covering in reception:
Hold and use drawing tools (pencil, rubbers, crayon, pastels, chalk, pen, felt tip) with some control to make marks
- Select coloured drawing implements for a purpose
- Use drawing tools to make marks, lines and curves
- Draw accurate representations of people and objects
- Talk about their own and others' work
- Recognise and name different colours
- Understand that when colours are mixed, new colours are created.
- Select and create different colours
- Use a variety of tools to apply paint, e.g. brushes of different sizes, sponges, fingers, objects.
- Explore working with paint on different surfaces and in different ways